Sinbi Muay Thai is one of the most popular Muay Thai gyms in Phuket. The owner of the gym is an ex fighter named Sing who was one of the top fighters in Thailand for a number of years.
Sing spent a number of years at the top of the rankings for both Ratchadamnoen and Lumpinee stadium, which would open doors for him to fight in K1 in Korea. This is where he was given his fighting name Sinbi Taewoong and would help establish a number of Taewoong gyms in Korea.
After finishing his stint in Korea Sing decided to open up his own gym in Phuket: Sinbi Muay Thai. Sinbi is known for having some of the best trainers on the island. This is hands down the biggest selling point for the gym. Most of the returning students come back because the trainers focus on technique and emphasize control over power.
In addition to the emphasis on technique by many of the trainers, the gym is located in the very popular Nai Harn/Rawai area of Phuket. This is the area that most expats choose to live because of the beautiful beaches and small town vibe that you get from the area.
Whether you are a seasoned fighter looking to improve your fight game or a beginner looking to learn basic technique, Sinbi has built a reputation of being accessible to anyone who is willing to learn.
Sinbi is known to have some of the best female fighters in the world. Popular female champions like Caley Reece and Sindy Huyer are always stopping by to train at Sinbi.
Sinbi is located in Nai Harn, Phuket. A 5 minute motorbike from the gym will take you to Nai Harn lake which is one of the most beautiful beaches on Phuket. Having clean sand and calm waters in the Peak months, Nai Harn is a vacationers paradise. If the beach isn’t your thing then Sinbi is also situated 2 minutes away from the Kata View Point, which offers a scenic view point of the three main beaches in Kata: Kata Noi, Kata, and Karon Beach. These beaches are a 10 minute bike ride away from Sinbi so there are plenty of options for most people.
The gym is about an hour ride from the airport so expect to pay an average of 1000 baht to take a taxi from the airport to the camp location. Sometimes if you get the red eye flight the taxi’s won’t take you unless you agree to their price, but you shouldn’t pay more than 1000 baht. It is also about a 30 minute motorbike ride from Patong for those who are looking to spend some wild nights out on the town.
The area of Nai Harn as plenty to offer in terms of hotels, restaurants, convenient stores and massage parlors. You won’t have to go far before you start to realize that every single block has at least 2 restaurants, a massage, 7-eleven, and a hotel to stay at. In the past 5 years there has been a lot of development in this area so don’t expect it to be to quiet during your stay in Nai Harn. This being said, it is quite tame compared to the neighboring areas of Kata or Patong.
The Muay Thai classes at Sinbi are between the times of 7:30-9:30am and 4:00-6:00pm. Private sessions are held between these times and sometimes after the afternoon session. If a students wants to run they will need to do so before or after class, depending on what they choose. Although running is not mandatory at the gym, it is expected for anyone who is planning on having a fight for the gym.
Sinbi Muay Thai is known to have some of the best trainers on the island. With popular figures like Pot, Met, and Dee, there are no shortages of talent among the trainers. Trainers spend a lot of time emphasizing technique rather than pushing cardio and fitness, so it is up to the students to make sure they are taking care of their fitness goals outside of training hours.
Sinbi Muay Thai offers accommodation on site and off site. The on site accommodation consists of shared triple rooms, shared double rooms, private single rooms, and VIP rooms. All of the rooms have air condition and fridge inside. People who are looking for a step up in accommodation can book into the Sinbi apartments and have more of a hotel style stay with a pool and nicer rooms. The advantage being that you don’t have to hear people training outside your room throughout the day, but you have to travel farther to training.
A few years ago Sinbi has built the Sinbi Seaview Apartments that are located about a 5 minute motorbike ride from the gym or a 20 minute walk. This apartment offers nice spacious rooms and has a pool for students to use in their free time.
For those who are looking to stay near the gym there are plenty of other options available. A quick walk down the street will reveal a number of hotels and guesthouses that are offering places to stay. In the low season you can expect the rates to be significantly cheaper than the high season.
- Top Trainers – Sinbi is known for having some of the best trainers on the island. The trainers speak excellent english and have a LOT of experience teaching beginners and advanced students.
- Emphasis on Technique – While gyms in Bangkok are known for hard training, Sinbi is known to put more of an emphasis on technique than on conditioning
- Great Location – Arguably the best location of any gym in Phuket or all of Thailand.
- On and off site accommodation available – You don’t have to worry about finding a place to stay if you book ahead
- Owner has top Muay Thai Connections – There is no denying that the owner Sing is one of the most well connected Muay Thai owners in all of Southern Thailand. He puts on his own promotions and his connected to a number of different stadiums. He is a big shot in the local Muay Thai scene.
- Fun and Relaxed Environment – Sinbi is not a hardcore training camp like the ones in Bangkok. This is a place to work on your technique, have your first few fights and hang out by the beach. If you are a top tier fighter I would suggest you train in Bangkok, where the best talent is.
- No Emphasis on Conditioning – At Sinbi you have to run in your own time. Nobody will make you run so you can be lazy if you want to.
- Many Distractions – Nai Harn has plenty of sites to see, restaurants to eat at, and beaches to explore. This can be hard for some people
- Large student population – Sinbi is quite a popular gym so don’t expect to be training with 5-10 people. Class sizes will range from 20-50 people depending on the season and time of year. They will often break the classes up in 2 if there are too many students at the gym.
- High Season Crowds – In high season Nai Harn gets extremely crowded and packed with people. Don’t expect a small isolated camp in the middle of nowhere.
- Less Amount of Stable Fighters – Other gyms have more stable fighters. Sinbi has fighters, but not as many as some of the other gyms on the island.
Overall Sinbi is a crowd favorite among people who come to Phuket to train muay thai. If you are looking for a gym that will offers a lot of technique, sparring and clinching then this is the gym for you. Don’t expect anybody to force you to run, this is something that you have to do on your own time before training.
Honestly, Sinbi has some of the best trainers in Thailand. If you get a chance to train with Dee, Yib, Thong, Nai, or Run(there are plenty of other good ones too), you will not be disappointed.
Sinbi is often rated among people’s top picks of any Muay Thai camp in Thailand, so don’t be surprised if you fall in love with the camp and location. Another bonus of training at Sinbi is the Nai Harn area is probably the best area in all of Phuket to have a holiday, with great restaurants, beaches, and a wide selection of accommodation.