Last Updated on
Located in Phuket, Sumalee boxing gym is owned and run by Lynne Miller. Lynn has previously worked at Sinbi Muay Thai before branching out on her own to start Sumalee Boxing Gym. Lynne knows how to run a good camp as she has sponsored a number of high level fighters who have fought for the gym. Sumalee is located in a more isolated area of Phuket, which is great if you want to avoid the typical tourist distractions that plague a lot of students who visit Thailand.
Due to the location and the size of the gym, Sumalee has more of a community feel than the other more commercial gyms on the island. You will often see their entire gym show up at a fight card to support one of their fighters fighting, whereas at other gyms you don’t see that kind of team atmosphere..
The biggest area that Sumalee sets themselves apart from other gyms is their sponsorship program. If you are a high level fighter with talent, Sumalee has a few scholarships that are available to good fighters. Since they only have a few spots available, if you don’t have high level skills or a lot of potential I wouldn’t bother applying for the scholarship.
Sumalee is a nice contrast to the heavily touristed gyms like Tiger Muay Thai, which have upwards of 500 students training at the gym. Anyone who is looking for a more isolated location, that has everything at the gym should consider Sumalee as a good choice.
Sumalee gym is located in the middle of Phuket island. The central location of the gym means that you can visit all areas of the island with relative ease, however there is not many foreign restaurants, hotels and things to do in the local area (walking distance). If you rent a motorbike you are a 15-20 minute ride away from the big malls, beaches and other tourist attractions.
Sumalee is located within 20 minutes of some of the most beautiful beaches on the island including Surin, Bang Tao and Nai Yang. Surin Beach in particular is becoming very well known for its night life and there are now many beach clubs in the Surin, Bang Tao and Layan areas. The camp organizes excursions and tours for those looking to explore some of the nearby islands of Phuket. They have an onsite pool to ensure that you don’t have to worry about going to the beach to get your sun tan.
One of the advantages of Sumalee is they have their own restaurant on site. This means you can live at the camp and have all of your meals prepared in house. For those of you who don’t like to move around and are afraid of driving a motorbike, this is a good option. This makes things easier when you are tired and don’t want to find a place to eat nearby.
The training at Sumalee is the standards training at most Thai gyms in Thailand. There is a run before training starts followed by stretching, shadow boxing, pads, bag work and clinching. The morning session is between 7:30-9:30am and the afternoon training time is at 4-6pm in the evening.
They currently have a good mix of trainers at the gym who all have high level backgrounds in the sport. If you want to see who is training their make sure you visit their website to see the latest list of trainers there.
Sumalee offers onsite accommodation that ranges from 20,000 baht for the lower range of accommodation to much higher for the deluxe accommodation and training. They also offer an onsite pool for those that are staying at the gym and looking for a nice relaxing day by the pool.
Sumalee also offers a fully equipped strength and conditioning gym for those looking to work out while they are at the gym. Recently they now offer on site luxury accommodation for those who are looking for a little more in their stay. In addition to the gym, they have also opened up a yoga studio for those who are looking for the complete package while they are away at training.
- Isolated Training Environment – You don’t have as many distractions as other gyms located in Chalong, Rawai or Patong
- Owned by Foreigner – I find that gyms owned by foreigners are often run better and have better service. Foreigners understand what foreigners want and usually provide much better customer service
- On site restaurant for eating – This option to be able to eat right at the gym without going anywhere
- Sponsored Fighters – Sumalee always sponsors fighters which is a very good thing
- Good Accommodation On Site – You don’t have to travel anywhere. Just get out of bed and train
- On Site Facilities – Sumalee has an on site gym and yoga studio that is available.
- Gym Location is Isolated – There are no beaches within walking distance of the gym. It is located off the main road in a very Thai area of Phuket. Think of training in Bangkok while being in Phuket (15-20 min motorbike away from beaches and other attractions)
- Less Touristy – This is a smaller size gym that is not as big as some of the other gyms. You won’t have a large amount of people coming and going as some of the bigger touristy camps. This is a PRO or CON depending on how you look at it.
- Lack of Accommodation options – If you don’t want to stay at the gym you are going to have a hard time finding a good hotel nearby.
- Lack of Restaurant options – The gym is located in a very Thai part of the island and there isn’t many options when it comes to Western food. Expect to eat at their restaurant most of the time unless you rent a motorbike.